Verse of the Day

-----------
Tuesday, September 29, 2009

spinal injury.

so we had a session out at Burwood Spinal Unit the other day, and we got to meet a few people who suffered spinal injuries and were now tetraplegics ie. they had an injury to their spinal cord at the level of their neck and now only have limited function/sensation to the rest of the body from neck downwards.

it made me think...

the consultant who took us for the tutorial mentioned about how people still go on with their lives even after such a traumatic event. although they might not be able to do certain things due to them now being wheelchair-bound, their lives were redirected. change of jobs, plans for a family, life goals, etc. but life still goes on.

I wondered what would happen if one day some unfortunate accident occurred and I ended up being a tetraplegic? would people still treat me the same way they did now? or would they treat me differently?

the guy who talked to us mentioned about the stigma associated with being a tetraplegic bound to a wheelchair. the consultant said that for tetraplegics, people LOOK at you DIFFERENTLY, STARE sometimes, they tend to LOOK DOWN on you, STAND OVER you and talk in a LOUD and SLOW voice.

how would you feel if for one day YOU lived in a wheelchair?

it would be quite an experience huh...

and I wondered if you would still stay by my side even if I couldn't walk anymore. I would be more of a burden than any help; a liability.

would you be willing to spend the rest of your life taking care of me?
would I be worth it?

think about it...




if the answer was yes, then I know that you really care about me.

1 footprints on spinal injury.