here comes an end to another part of working life. Orthopaedics is now officially behind me. the tough first days...I must say, I have come a long way. still not the best, but hopefully better than before. I've learnt much, made friends with colleagues and ward staff. will I miss it? I'm not sure about the workload. but it's the people that make the difference. remember the good times and forget the bad ones...
coming in to Medicine now, it's another story altogether. funnily enough, today I had a patient on each of the Ortho wards! so I visited the place where I slogged my guts out for the past 3 months. everyone seemed to miss me! (though I think it might be because my lot just left, they'll forget me in time.) but I guess it's just another job...
in all of that, I seem to have lost track of the purpose of being a doctor...
a few weeks ago, there was this patient, Mrs X, who said hi to me as I was talking to another patient in the room. I was thinking, she looks familiar, then recalled that I had been on call and had done Mrs X's admission. I stopped for a while and chatted, and was pleased she looked so well after her surgery to fix her broken leg. I didn't think much else about it. then just last week, I headed to the Transit Lounge to check on some paperwork...and I saw Mrs X again! this time she was headed out of hospital, I think to respite care of some sort. she still remembered me! wow! yeah...this is what I work for...
and thus begins another run...
I must never forget my humble beginnings...
Verse of the Day
-----------
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 Comments
Post a Comment