Verse of the Day

-----------
Friday, June 08, 2007

following on...

ok, and so today we finally wrapped up on the Early Pregnancy Case for the week. and also the whole abortion issue I hope. most probably not, seeing how this module is called Reproduction, Development and Ageing, I'm quite sure that there'll be lots more ethical issues to come...

it made me think though, if I were the one in that situation. would I choose to abort my child who would potentially be born with a severe abnormality? be it physical or genetic, he/she would be handicapped, for life. and even if the baby was born, it wouldn't live for long. would I choose to continue with the pregnancy? and risk losing my child when he/she is only of a very young age? or would I choose to terminate its life even before it was born?

it's something to think about and make a decision when I'm not in that situation, but it's another thing to be in the shoes of the woman who faces this life-and-death decision. I really don't know. would I still stick to my "anti-abortion" stance?

who am I to decide who lives or dies? I'm only human. doesn't the decision ultimately lie in the hands of the Creator? how can I do this? and if it's going to be life-threatening to me, would I still not choose an abortion? ethics is one thing, but what does God say?

the laws state this:
http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/abortion/doc/newzeal.doc
http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/abortion/doc/singapore.doc

hmm. though society has more 'liberal' views on abortion at present, the stigma still remains. especially in Asian cultures. I know that's quite a generalisation, but I can't imagine someone not being taunted/shamed by people they know/friends/relatives when they find out that they had an unplanned pregnancy back home, much less an abortion. it easily becomes gossip, yet it's all quite hush-hush. especially for the older generation...there's just something...there. hmm.

anyway. that aside.

I have something more important to think about. where am I going to go next year? I have to make a decision by this coming Monday, and if I don't, I risk the chance of being balloted. I really don't know. I can't seem to hear from the One above, and I don't know what'll be the best for me. I don't want to leave, yet I can't stay either. or maybe I should just go...I don't know!

argh. and I thought I'd gotten over it! =S why is this happening?!?

questions I don't have answers for. and it's only just the beginning...

0 Comments